Categorie: Insurance

Do I need insurance?

Yes, you need liability insurance with sufficient coverage while you live at the College Campus. After moving in we need a copy of this policy as soon as possible, as stated in the tenancy agreement.

The Dutch healthcare system is a universal, multi-payer system. This means healthcare is funded through a combination of public and private contributions. The system includes a Standard Health Insurance Package (known as the basisverzekering) for all residents which is mandatory if you are aged 18 and over. All Dutch residents, including international students, are free to choose their own private health insurance provider.

More information healthcare insurance

There is no state funded (public) health insurance as such, so it’s a good idea to compare what the different insurance carriers have to offer, but the package generally covers the following services:

  • GP visits
  • Specialist treatment and hospital care
  • Some mental health services
  • Medication
  • Dental care up to age 18
  • Some forms of therapy, including speech therapy
  • Dieticians
  • Maternity care

Health insurance for EU students

As an international student from the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you are not required to pay health insurance premiums in the Netherlands unless you have some form of paid employment. This includes full-time work, part-time work or paid internships. If you are not employed, you can apply for a European Health Insurance Card or an international declaration form instead but, make sure your health insurance covers the costs made in the Netherlands.

When you’re shopping around for insurance providers, you should contact them directly to find out what services they cover.

Health insurance for non-EU students

NHL Stenden purchases health insurance on your behalf for your first year of enrolment through AON, one of the larger health insurance providers in the Netherlands. The costs are €650. After the first year you are responsible to purchase your own health insurance.